Monday 22 September 2014

Writing an online story

After my latest assessment piece for online journalism I have decided that I enjoyed writing my first actual online story.

I wrote about a charity called 'Orange Sky Laundry'. What helped was that my subjects are absolute champions and were happy to answer every one of my questions and even let me watch and help out in the build of their van.

Nic and Lucas solving some problems


I was a little bit worried about how I was going to make this story interactive, but I got a great time lapse and took a few photos, which I was really happy with. I wanted to make a really good quality interactive map but my skills with Google maps are a bit limited, though I am slowly learning.

When I interviewed a volunteer I wish I had filmed him to grab a sound bite or at least took a photo of him in action. I wanted to talk to a few homeless people but I didn't get the chance to meet up with a charity service and was asked by the Orange Sky Laundry team to not spread the word around to much, or at least until they had solidified one of their sites.

Despite these problems I am rather happy with how my story went and feel that I have learnt a few things that will help me out in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment