Tuesday 9 September 2014

Oh so close

Today a woman fell under a train at Eagle Junction train station.



Eagle Junction is my local train station, and luckily when I heard this news I was already on the train to my beloved EJ station.
The Courier Mail broke the story at roughly 12:30pm. But by the time I got there (1pm), it was to late. The emergency services had packed up and headed off to continue their day.


This made me think; a story can be broken and finished in half an hour. I couldn't have gotten to the train station, even if I had driven a car. Maybe if I had run every light on the way I would have gotten there in time to wave the Ambulance and Police cars goodbye. But that is how fast journalism has become. If you aren't where the story has broken immediately, you probably shouldn't even bother going.

Of course I had been told this a million times before by my lecturers and even special presenters. But it has taken a first hand opportunity for me to actually understand this important lesson.






No comments:

Post a Comment