Thursday 14 August 2014

I have NO Idea what I am doing


I am a 20-year-old male who studies a Bachelor of business (majoring in Marketing) and Journalism. After 12 years of school and three arduous years of University, I have no idea of what I want to do with my life.


Spencer Howason gave a very entertaining lecture that has confirmed all of my doubts.


Spencer pointed out that the life of a journalist is changing. He told the QUT Online Journalism 1 lecture that their most valuable tool is social media. A journalist must constantly be tweeting and posting.


For me, this that is extremely intimidating. After all so far I have tweeted 13 times and am still very frightened and hesitant when it comes to posting… partially because I don’t have any clue what constitutes a worthy tweet.


This is what I thought a good tweet was. Witty and funny… but not really.

Maybe I am not the best tweeter in the world, but hopefully I will get better.

To be brutally honest, I hate the idea of tweeting.

I don’t think anyone would care about what I have got to say, and why would they? I really don’t want to be shoving my opinions down their throat, where they have nowhere to run or hide.

There is a solution to this though; write something interesting.

But what I find interesting is a lot different to what others find interesting.
I want to be successful and to be successful you need to please the crowd, which means tweeting regularly about interesting things. Which means a lot of pressure. But if it paid off there would be big rewards.

I blame Twitter for my confusion.

Finding originality is something that I think I may struggle with, as it seems most things have already been done. I love Spencer's 'thing', which is getting in touch with the people of Brisbane and becoming involved with their lives. Another great 'thing' is Brandon Stanton's, who runs a site called Humans of New York. Brandon's 'thing' is all about telling someone's story, accompanied by a portrait of the subject. Brandon has found great success with his 'thing' as he has published a number 1 best selling book.


At this stage to make my mark, I need to find my 'thing' which needs to be something fresh and new.
I literally have no idea what my 'thing' could be...

No comments:

Post a Comment